Named after Lord Viscount Castlereagh, the Irish peer, Castlereagh is soaked in Australian history, being one of the five Macquarie towns officially proclaimed on 6 December 1810.
Settlement occurred from 1803, and the township was founded in 1810. Initially the area of Castlereagh did not prosper as planned, mainly due to isolation. Some growth took place in the 1880s and the interwar period, although land was used mostly for dairy farming and orcharding.
After over two hundred years, the rich river flats still provide for a thriving agricultural industry along the Nepean River. The suburb’s historical importance is reflected in its many surviving farmhouses, outbuildings, churches and cemeteries.
Many large homesteads have been built over the past 30 years and with locals being drawn to the rural lifestyle whilst being within a 10 minute drive to the Penrith CDB.
Today the major features of the suburb are the Penrith Lakes Scheme, and the 2000 Olympic venue being the Sydney International Regatta Centre, Penrith Whitewater Stadium & Rafting Course. Whilst other features of the area include the Nepean River, Muru Mittigar Aboriginal Culture Centre, Nepean Raceway, Castlereagh Equestrian Centre, Smith Park and two schools.
For further information on Castlereagh please click here