Werrington takes it’s named after “Werrington” estate which was owned by Mary King, the youngest daughter of Governor Philip King. Mary received a land grant of 790 acres in 1806. She went on to marry Robert Copland Lethbridge in Cornwall and they then returned to NSW. Lethbridge then purchased an additional 600 acres adjoining his wife’s grant and on this land they built their home, Werrington House, in 1832.
In the early days the land was used mainly for farming. Significant development occurred post-war and continued steadily through to the 1990’s when villas, townhouses and units were introduced to the area.
Werrington County was developed as a residential estate from the late 1970s and by the mid 1980s was almost built out. Today this residential pocket makes up part of the greater area and is complete with public transport, sporting facilities, schools, parks and local shopping complex.
For further information on Werrington County please click here